Facebook

Sunday 29 April 2012

2012 - Race 3 - Silverstone National

*
2012 - Silverstone National Race 3




As we arrive at a soaking wet Silverstone it is sad to hear that Chris Rea's Class 2 308GT4 crashed into the wall along the Club Straight during Friday practice and will not be racing today.  Chris hasn't had much look over the past couple of years, so hopefully it won't take too long before he can bring the car back out to the series.

Race Day

At a very wet Silverstone, I have qualified much higher than the GT4 would usually manage on the new Pirelli rubber.  A good start brings me tight between Jim Cartwright (Blue 328GTB) and Wayne Marrs (Red / White Strip 328), however they squeeze me and I back out of it before getting on the power as Jim runs wide through Copse.  (Retaining my 7th position)  

Peter Everingham (White 328) is level on my right in the run through to Maggots. Entering Becketts I scrub wide and see Peter spin in my mirror.  On the Club Straight visibility is poor, but I'm catching Tim Walker (Red/Gold/White 328) on the entry into Brooklands and drive around the outside of Tim through Luffield. (6th)

Entering Maggots on Lap 2 following Wayne we see Ben Cartwright (Red / Stradale strip 328), and Wayne runs wide. I manage to keep it tight through Becketts taking both cars (4th). Watching Wayne along the Club Straight I keep a central position, but take too much speed into Brooklands and run wide on the exit. We track side by side through Luffield but I manage to get traction early and keep my position and pull a gap along the Pit Straight.


Sneaking through ahead of Wayne's Class 4 328

Lap 4 and Wayne is catching, waved yellows warn that Danny Winstanley (Silver 328) has spun out of the lead on the Pit Straight and has hit the wall.  (3rd overall in the GT4)

Lap 5 Wayne passes on the outside along the Club Straight, but I'm close through Luffield. Spray makes visibility a nightmare (4th).  At Becketts, the waved Yellows are out as they recover Nick Whittaker's  car (Blue 308GT4). Wayne pulls out a good gap.

Lap 7 we catch the back of the field and follow Pauline Goodwin (Red 328) and Ray Ferguson (Red Mondial T), passing both into Brooklands.

Lap 8 Wayne twitches into Becketts and I have a chance, however my fans fail and the screen mists up to zero visibility. I frantically flick the switch a couple of times and it clears.  Wayne has pulled a good gap, but I pull him in at Luffield.

Lap 9 Following close behind Wayne into Brooklands, he twitches in Luffield and I sneak through onto the Pit Straight.  

Lap 10 Wayne moves to the inside entering Copse, and I twitch on the exit but maintain my position (3rd) and see Didier (Red Mondial T convertible) in the gravel at Maggots.

Lap 11 I reach the two GT4s of Steven Routledge (Red/White) and William Moorwood (Red) into Maggots.  Wayne gets good drive out of Becketts and passes along the Club Straight and we both lap the cars into Brooklands.  Wayne blocks the inside into Luffield so I take a wide line, tightening as he runs wide and manage to get enough traction to get ahead onto the Pit Straight.  (3rd) 

Lap 12 into Copse, Wayne is on the inside and I run wide allowing him to get a run into Maggots before the waved yellows as the Mondial is recovered.  Wayne gets a good run out of Becketts and pulls away……

Lap 15 I catch Pauline and Ray for the second time and cross the finish line 4th overall, first in class and definitely the best result for the little Class 1 GT4.



1st in Class, 4th Overall - pics from www.simonpics.co.uk


2012 - Silverstone Race 1 Footage


Click here to go to the to Ferrari Owners Club - Club Racing Series'.


*

No comments:

Post a Comment